Monday, February 9, 2009

The Grammys

I am not sure I liked the Grammys' broadcast last night. Though I appreciate the effort to make the awards' show more about music as opposed to irrelevant pats on the back intended to boost the egos of pop performers, I am not so sure the performances were particularly inspired last night. There were a few exceptions (see below), but by and large, I was very underwhelmed.

First of all, WHAT was Katy Perry doing? She can't dance, her vocals were eh and her costume was way over the top (and not in a fabulous, Cher-wearing-Bob-Mackey kind of way, more like a make-Carmen-Miranda-roll-over-in-her-grave kind of way). My husband actually said that watching Katy dance was more cringe-worthy than watching Brittney at the VMAs---that's saying A Lot.


And what was with the awful presenters? The Rock, seriously people? His joke about loving the Grammys and kissing a girl were TERRIBLE. Even J-T's attempts at humor about running into Al Green at the General Store in Memphis fell flat. Why was Kate Beckinsale chosen to introduce Sir Paul McCartney---couldn't they find a more relevant British actress (like, I don't know, Kate Winslet??). And why does Gwyneth Paltrow get to introduce Radiohead? Just 'cause she is Mrs. Chris Martin? At least she didn't make an affected-accent gaffe like she did with Anthony Hopkins when he won an award last year.


I did, however, enjoy Radiohead's performance--Thom Yorke's jerky movements and all. Not sure I loved Chris Martin's hoarse, scratchy vocals on Viva la Vida, but their acceptance speeches were first-rate and I just loved them in their knock-off Sgt. Pepper costumes. I do wonder if anyone told Stevie Wonder who the Jonas Brothers were before he agreed to perform with them, but the littlest heart-throb of them all, Nick, did a pretty decent job singing along with Mr. Wonder. I definitely could have done without watching MIA jumping around on stage, in a sheer unitard with polka dot patches over her nether-regions and baby bump no less, all the while fearing that she would give birth ON THE GRAMMY stage. It was kind of cute, but more creepy, to see TI rap to her belly and I could kind of see a sigh of relief on all four rappers' faces when the set was over.


There are so many more performances and no-no's to discuss (for instance, what is Kanye thinking with his hair right now? Is Taylor Hicks really Miley's new bff? Why is Keith Urban just so so adorable? Has John Mayer always been so goofy looking? Smokey Robinson sure does look good for his age. Did Chris Brown really rough up Ri-Ri? When is TI going to jail, exactly? Why is Dave Grohl so awesome? Does anyone care that Blink 182 is back together? etc. etc.), but the biggest highlight for me, all night, was seeing Jennifer Hudson. There has been so much talk of her heartache and struggles and how this weekend was her official re-entry into the spotlight and I have to say, she gave me goosebumps. Of course Jennifer Hudson could always sing---but last night, she made magic. And her grace, faith, poise and strength made her absolutely radiant. I could have done without the camera pans to her fiancee (and former I Love New York contestant) David Otunga, but it seems as though he loves her and she loves him and of all the people in the world who could use a little love right now, Jennifer Hudson is certainly one of them.


I do enjoy awards season though and am getting pretty stoked for the main event on February 22d, which also happens to be my birthday. And, I hope, that as a b-day gift to me, MIA will have delivered and will not be appearing/performing with AR Rahman. I also hope the Rock will not be presenting and that Miley Cyrus's invitation was conveniently lost in the mail.

1 comment: